Thursday, November 04, 2004

Erc

My CS teacher agreed to consider my work on Erc a (read: my programming language) community service. So far, I did 7 hours on that, giving me 17 out of the required 40 finished, assuming I can get my guidance counciler to agree with my daring (for this area) social statement of community software development.
A little more on erc: I did an interpreter, a compiler, and revision 0 of a language documeatation. The interpreter is called Majic, and implements all documented functions except library loading and streams, plus some extra non-documented functions I'm planning on putting into revision 1. The compiler, Majicc, simply creates a new class that inherits from Majic's interpreter class (Majic's in java, and Majicc is in c++) with the erc source pasted in, ready to be compiled by javac,esentially into a self-interpreting executable. Decisions for the official language docs (standard erc revisions) are made by the Ercon, a group of four developers, led by me, who show an interest in the language and have signed a docurent swearing their efforts to the progression of the language. The Ercon consists of myself (John Ohno, leader and devecoper/documenter), Jon Kopetz (gimpery engineer :-P), Kraig Eisenmann (coder), and Marilynn Kramar (oor CS teacher, community service "site supervisor", and generl ercon "voice of reason"). Soon I will draft revision 1 of the Erc Standards, to await approval and amendment by the Ercon.
When library laoding is implemented it will support 4 types of libraries:
-erc source libraries: these will be thz most common, and are just the erc source files, loaded into the main web
-erc compiled librazies: these are "compiled" erc source files, loaded into the toplevel web like source libraries. If you've done your homework and read the Majicc source (ha ha ha) you probably realize that a compiled erc file is an op with the source pasted in. So the library files, when loaded, are ops within the toplevel web.
-java libraries: these are like compiled erc libraries, except that they include java functions that don't exist in pure erc.
-system libraries: these are libraries that are system-dependent libraries, loaded with java's load() command.
More info is available at http://erc-lang.tk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home