Thursday, July 01, 2004

On the Digital Soul OVA project

As you may know, I'm a member (and the founder) of the FAF, or Free Anime Foundation. I am also the director of the Digital Soul Project, an anime by the FAF, and in fact the very first FAF work to be created.
We have gone through manga artists like a smoker goes through cigarettes for this project, until last december, when Eric Eliacin became our manga artist. The manga is nowhere near done, but at least he stuck with it and took time out of his busy schedule to work on it (I'm not being fastidious, he really is busy). More recently, I decided to pick back up the OVA project for Digital Soul. In that regard, I managed to get all of the artists who were working on other official FAF projects to stop and work on this.
Since I'm going on vacation for a few weeks (see Unknown User for details), I have called Eric and told him his first job as art director for the OVA. He's going to be organizing all of the artists and they're going to start drawing while I'm gone. When they are done, I will need to do the coloring and the cutting (all on the computer, of course). Then I'll need to get in touch with the Seiyuu. I have 5 professional voice actors, most of whom are doing multiple parts. It's amazing that I got them to want to do it, considering our lack of funding. The voice director is Walter Weeks, who is also playing John Yoshiro, Banpei-kun, and Roger Smith. I happened to know him from summer camp, which is how I got him on the project. His previous jobs include Shrek and Freakazoid.
I'm going to ask Bridget to be my cutting assistant. If I don't find one then I'll have to do every single frame of the ova myself, and then go through them all again to stick in the subs for the VAs. I'm doing it all on linux, using the GIMP and MEncoder (part of the MPlayer suite of media tools).
If anyone would like a copy of the OVA when it's done, I'd be more than happy to point you to the online store, or alternately to a download. I suggest buying it, if only to save bandwidth or support the creators. I'm personally not getting too much out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home